Orders Of Quran Revelation:
There are two orders through which The Word of Allah (The Quran) was revealed:
All At Once:
It is the order in which the whole Quran (in its present order) was transferred from the Al-Lawh Al-Mahfooth (The Preserved Tablet) to the Bayt Al-‘Izzah (The universal heaven) on the night of Al-Qadr (Decree). Allah Says (what means):
- “Verily! We have sent it (this Quran) down in the night of Al-Qadr” [Quran 97:1]
- “We have sent it (this Quran) down on a blessed night (i.e. the night of Al-Qadr) in the month of Ramadan. Verily, We are ever warning (mankind). Therein (that night) is decreed every matter of ordainment.” [Quran 44:3-4]
- “The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Quran, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong).” [Quran 2:185]
Imaam As –Siyooti, may Allah have mercy upon him, who was famous for his vast knowledge of the Quran and its sciences, stated regarding the wisdom behind the transfer of the whole Quran: “The importance and greatness of one whole manual for all human beings up to the end of life in this world should be fully realised. Also the importance of the Prophet and his followers; the bearer and the executors of this teaching is also to be realised by the creatures of this world.”
It is the transfer of the Word of Allah, the Quran, from heaven to the Prophet Muhammad, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, gradually, over a period of 23 years. It was revealed in pursuance of the circumstances and events dealt with by the Prophet in ten verses at one time, five some times, sometime more, as also many more as well. The verses revealed in Makkah are called Makkan and the ones revealed in Madeenah are termed Madeenan. The order of revelation is quite different to that of the “All at once” order.
The following are the quotations from the Quran related to the order of revelation that point out to the gradual revelation in piecemeal. Allah Says (what means):
- “It is He Who continued sending down the Writ (the Quran) to you with truth, confirming what came before it. And He sent down the Tawraat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel).” [Quran 3:3]
- “Say: Whoever is an enemy to (angel) Jibreel, (let him die in his fury, for indeed he has continuously brought it down to your heart by Allah’s permission, confirming what came before it and guidance and glad tidings for the believers.” [Quran 2:97]
- “And We went on sending from the Quran that which is a healing and mercy to those who believe, and it increases the wrong-doers nothing but loss.” [Quran 17:82]
- “Say: The Spirit (angel Jibreel) had been bringing it (the Quran) down from your Lord with truth, that it may make firm and strengthen (the faith of) those who believe and as a guidance and glad tidings to those who have submitted themselves to Allah.” [Quran 16:102]
- “And (it is) a Writ (Quran) which He have divided (into parts), in order that you might recite it to men at intervals. And We have revealed it by stages.” [Quran 17:106]
- “And if you (mankind) are in doubt concerning that which We have sent down (the Quran in stages) to one slave, then produce a chapter of the like thereof and call witnesses (supporters and helpers) besides Allah, if you are truthful.” [Quran 2:23]
- “Verily We: It is We who have sent down (in stages) the Thikr (Quran) and surely, We will guard it (from corruption).” [Quran 15:9]
The purpose of sending the Quran in two levels: the “In Stages” and the “All At Once” order (which we have today):
The “All At Once” order is the main permanent form of the Divine Book and this has been destined to be the manual and handbook for the Muslim Nation, the believers of Islam and followers of Muhammad, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam. This is to be recited, studied and applied for the establishment of the rules and regulations for living up to the end of the world.
The “In Stages” order was for Muhammad, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, to invite and call people towards Islam. This is the order which should be used by Muslims when preaching Islam to non-believers.