Why should we and our children memorise the Holy Quran? 20 benefits
All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of all that exists, and may prayers of blessings and peace be upon the messenger of Allah.
Al Haafidh as Suyootee said, “Teaching the children the Quran is a fundamental from the fundamentals of Islam. By it the child will grow up upon the fitrah, and the lights of wisdom will rush to their hearts before the desires are able to settle in them and darken them with the cloudiness of disobedience and misguidance.”
Ibn Taymiyyah said, “Concerning seeking to memorize the Quran, it has precedence over much of what the people call knowledge, and is either falsehood or of little benefit.”
So that the joy of the parent will be complete, they should know what is in store for their children by knocking at his great door (the door to Quran memorisation). For indeed Allah has guaranteed and promised many fruits (benefits and blessings) for memorising His Book. Below is a list of 20 benefits.
- 1- VIP status in this life, death, and beyond. The haafiz (the memorizer) is a true VIP. He automatically qualifies for some roles of leadership by virtue of being a haafiz. For example, in a prayer congregation, the one who knows more Quran leads the prayer.
Even at the time of death, you’re honoured. The haafizah is placed ahead of the everyone else in a mass burial. At the battle of Uhud, the Prophet buried the martyrs who had memorized the Quran in front of those who hadn’t, to highlight their superiority.
And in the hereafter, “the one who recites the Qur’aan and learns it by heart, will be with the noble righteous scribes” (Al-Bukhari). Also, you will have a special intercession, a day when we are in desperate need of all the help possible to intercede for us with Allaah. And elevation of their status in this life and in the hereafter because of Quran memorization.
This is due to the statement of the prophet (pbuh): “Indeed Allah will elevate some people with this book and he will degrade others with it.” (Muslim)
So congratulations to you that your son or daughter will be of those whose status this magnificent Quran elevates and exalts.
- 2- Allah intending good for your children. This is due to the statement of the prophet, “Whoever Allah intends good for He gives him the understanding of the religion.” (Al-Bukhari). The greatest understanding of the religion is the recitation and memorization of Allah’s book, because it is the first source of legislation.
- 3- They will be the people of Allah and His chosen ones because of Quran memorization. This is due to the statement of the prophet, “Verily, Allah the exalted has people from among mankind, and the people of the Quran are the people of Allah and his chosen ones.” (Ahmed and An Nisai). This Hadith was graded authentic by Sheikh Al Albaanee in Sahih Al Jaami As Sagheer, Vol-1, no-2165. It was also collected by Ibn Maajah and Al Hakim.
- 4 Honouring them is a form of honouring Allah. This is due to the statement of the prophet, “Verily, it is a form of honoring Allah, the Most high, that the gray haired Muslim is respected and the one who carries (memorizes) the Quran without exaggeration in it, nor neglecting it.” ( Abu Dawood).
- 5- They are given precedence in burial because of Quran memorization. Jaabir bin Abdullah narrated that the prophet used to put two men together of those who were killed at the battle of Uhad. Then he would say, “Which of them memorized more of the Quran?” So if one of them was pointed out he would be placed in the niche (lahd) of the grave first. (Al Bukhari).
- 6- They are safe from the trial of the Dajjal (the great deceiver or false messiah). The prophet said, “Whoever memorizes ten verses from the beginning of Surah Al Kahf, he will be protected from the Dajjal.” (Muslim).
- 7- Highest ranks of Jannah for the Memoriser of the Qur’an: Ibn ‘Amr reported that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said: “It will be said to the companion of the Qur’aan after he has entered Paradise, ‘Recite, and rise!’ For every verse he recites he will rise one level (in Paradise), until he recites the last verse with him (i.e., in his memory).” (Aboo Dawood)
This Hadith mentions the merit of those who memorize part or all of the Qur’an. Some scholars, in explaining this Hadith, have mentioned that the number of ranks (levels) in Paradise is equal to the number of ayahs (verses) in the Qur’an, and that a believer will rise one rank for each ayah (verse) that he or she memorizes. Obviously, the one who memorised the whole Qur’an will stop at the last verse of the Quran meaning they will be of those among the highest ranks of paradise.
Whoever memorizes Quraan and acts upon it, Allaah will reward him and honour him greatly for that, so that he will rise in status in Paradise to a level commensurate with what he memorized of the Book of Allaah.
Subhanallah! We should all memorise as much of the Qur’an as we can until our last breath for every ayah we memorise will result in higher ranks in Jannah!
- 8- Your child will wear the garments of honor because of Quran memorization. The prophet said, “The Quran will come on the Day of Judgement and say, ‘So Lord! Adorn him. ’So the person will be made to wear the crown of honor. Then it will say, ‘Oh Lord! Increase him!’ So the person will be made to wear the garment of honor.
Then it will say, ‘Oh Lord! Be pleased with him.’ So Allah will be pleased with him. Then it will be said, Recite and ascend.’ And the person will receive an extra good deed for every verse (that he recites of the Quran).” (At Tirmidhi) This Hadith was graded good (hasan) by Sheikh Al Albaanee in Shaheeh Al Jaami As Sagheer, Vol-2, No-8030.
- 9- The Quran will intercede for whoever loves it on the Day of the greatest Terror that is the Judgement Day. The prophet (pbuh), “Recite the Quran, for verily it will come on the Day of Judgement as and intercessor for those who recite it.” (Muslim)
- 10- The Highest Honour for the Parents of the Memoriser of the Qur’an “Mu’aadh al-Juhani narrates that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said: ‘Whosoever recites the Quran and practices upon its injunctions, the reciter’s parents will be given a crown on the day of Qiyaamat. The brightness of that crown will be more intense than the brightness of the sun in your actual house.’ The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) further said: ‘What do you think will be given to the Hafiz (reciter) of the Quran himself?’” (Mishkaat Vol I.)
So not only will the Hafiz receive rewards beyond comprehension but it will also mean the highest honour for the parents who will wear a crown on Qiyamat. We try so hard to make our parents proud in this world but imagine how proud they will be on that day. Subhanallah! It was narrated that Buraydah said: “The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said: ‘Whoever reads the Qur’aan, learns it and acts in accordance with it, on the Day of Resurrection his parents will be given a crown to wear whose light will be like the light of the sun, and his parents will be given garments which far surpass everything to be found in this world. They will say, “Why have we been given this to wear?” It will be said, “Because your child learned the Qur’aan.”’”(Narrated by al-Haakim, 1/756)
So let us ALL be of those who are given such high honour on the day of judgement and encourage our children to become memorisers of the Qur’an. But those parents who prevented their child from learning the Qur’aan will be of those who lost out for eternity!
- 11- The Quran will be a proof on the Day of Judgment. The Prophet said, “The Quran will be brought on the Day of Judgment along with its people who acted according to it. They will be preceded by Surah Al Baqarah and Al Imran, and these two Surahs will plead the case of whoever recited them.”(Muslim).
- 12- Your child will attain the status of the honorable and obedient scribes among the angles. The prophet said, “The one who recites the Quran proficiently will be with the honourable and obedient scribes (of the angels)..”(Muslim).
- 13. Every letter the Memoriser of the Qur’an recites is rewarded ten times or more. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said: “Whoever recites one Word from the Book of Allah will be rewarded for a good deed and ten more like it; and I don’t say that Alif Lam Mim is a letter but Alif is a letter and Lam is a letter and Mim is a letter” (Tirmidhi & Al-Dareemi)
So for every letter of the Qur’an the memoriser received a minimum or ten rewards and of course Allah can reward a person much more if he wants to. The Qur’an has 6666 verses and ever verse has so many alphabets. Can you imagine the number of alphabets the memoriser of the Qur’an recites. He will recite one verse again and again and has to continuously recite the Qur’an to keep it fresh in his heart. Surely he would have gained millions of rewards by completing the Qur’an just once. Thereafter he will go over a verse again and again in his mind and he would have recited the Qur’an again and again resulting in rewards beyond mathamatical calculations and our limited comprehension.
- 14- Safety and salvation from the Hell-fire. The Prophet (pbuh) said: “If the Quran is gathered in a body (i.e. a person) Allah will not burn him with the Fire.” (Al-Baihaqee in Ash-Shu’ab and Al-Albaanee graded it good).
- 15- Safety of the heart from destruction.
The Prophet (pbuh) said: “Verily, He who does not have anything inside of him of the Quran is like a demolished house.” (At Tirmidhi).
- 16- Your child will have the manners of those who carry (i.e. memorize) the Quran. Ibn Mas’ood (ra) said: “The one who memorizes the Quran should be known by his night (i.e. praying at night) when the people are sleeping, and by his day (i.e. fasting) while the people are eating, and by his pious abstinence when the people are mingling, and by his humbleness when the people are boasting, and by his sadness when the people are happy, and by his crying when the people are laughing, and by his silence when the people are chatting.” Therefore, Quran memorization will cause your child to be favored by these aspects of beautiful and virtuous character. It is sufficient for your son and daughter to be proud that they are carrying the Words of the Lord of all that exists in their chests.
They are Words that no falsehood may come to them from before them or behind them. This is even more auspicious in a time when the chests of the young men and women have become filled with that which is silly and forbidden.
- 17- Jannah for the one who memorised the Qur’an. Hadrat Ali (RA) reports that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said:
“Anyone who knows the Quran by heart and follows the lawful and the prohibited according to it, he will be sent to Heaven by Allah U.” (Tirmidhi). As long as the memoriser of the Qur’an following the lawful and kept away from the prohibited then he will be granted Jannah.
- 18- Double reward for those who try hard to memorise the Qur’an. Aaishah that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said: The likeness of the one who reads Quraan and memorizes it is that he is with the righteous honourable scribes. The likeness of the one who reads it and tries hard to memorize it even though it is difficult for him, he will have (at least) a double reward. (Al-Bukhaari, 4937)
So we must NEVER give up memorising the Qur’an even though we may struggle to learn a single verse for it maybe that shaythan will try hard to make a person give up knowing that he will receive double rewards for it if he continues.
Allah rewards a person according to their intention and sincerety so if one is sincere and intends to learn the Qur’an and dies whilst doing so then it maybe that Allah may raise such a person amongst those who actually memorised the Qur’an. Subahanallah!
- 19- One of the miracles of the Quran is that Allaah made it easy for us to memorize, as He, subhaanahu wa ta’aala, said:
وَلَقَدۡ يَسَّرۡنَا ٱلۡقُرۡءَانَ لِلذِّكۡرِ فَهَلۡ مِن مُّدَّكِرٍ
And We have indeed made the Qur’an easy to understand and remember, then is there any that will remember? [Al-Qamar:17,22,32,40]
This verse repeats four times in the same chapter. The fact that the verses of the Quran are so articulate and can never be reproduced by the most eloquent of poets and writers, but yet can be memorized from cover to cover is proof that Allah has indeed made it easy.
Nonetheless, there are instances when memorization can be difficult, such as being exposed to Quran and Arabic for the first time after childhood, or having a memory problem, or dealing life circumstances that make commitment difficult. Although, these may seem like obstacles, they are actually sources of motivation, because the Prophet of Allaah said, “The likeness of the one who reads it and tries hard to memorize it even though it is difficult for him, he will have a double reward”. [Al-Bukhari].
- 20- Role Model: It goes without saying that you’ll be a model for your children to follow as you’ve achieved or are working on what you’ve been encouraging them to do. Think of the example you’d be setting for your children, especially your daughters, particularly in a society that invests more in boys when it comes to Quran.
You’ll also be a true role model for other Muslim women, single and married alike. Allaah and His messenger made you superior to others, singled you out as the best person, and crowned you as the epitome of envy. Why wouldn’t anyone want to be like you?!
Whether you are single or married, a mom of one child or eight, memorizing Quran IS for you and IS achievable. With dua, sincerity, and a positive attitude, you will be successful because Allah’s promise is true.
Since the Quran is the word of Allah Almighty, when you memorize it , this will be the best you ever done! Memorizing the Quran will open all the doors of good for you. Memorizing the Quran means that you will obtain ten good deeds for each letter! If you know, for example that the number of letters in the shortest Surah in the Quran, which is Surah Al-Kawthar, is 42 letters. This Surah can be read in seconds, which means that whenever you read it, your account at Allah Almighty will increase to 420 good deeds, each one of these good deeds is much better than this World and what is in it!! Consider how many good deeds you will gain when you read the whole Quran which includes more than three hundred thousand letters!!
The Quran includes all the sciences of this World and the Hereafter, the stories of ancestors and successors. It includes many of the scientific, cosmic, legislative and medical facts, and it includes also provisions, laws and legislation that regulate the life of a believer and make him much happier. This means that when you memorize the Quran, you memorize the largest encyclopedia.
When you memorize the Quran, your expressing ability will be stronger because of the classic Arabic you acquire from the Quran. You will have more ability for dealing, endurance and patience, because memorizing the Quran is not only like memorizing a poem, a story, or a song. However, when you memorize the Quran, in fact you are changing your attitude towards everything around you, and thus your behavior will be following what you have memorized Our Lady Aysha (May Allah be pleased with her) was asked about the ethics of the Prophet and she said, “His ethics was the Quran”!! If you would like your ethics be like the Prophet’s (pbuh), you have to memorize the Quran.
The Quran is a healing for physical and psychological diseases. If reading Al-Fatiha (The Opening) cures a patient if Allah permits, what about who memorize the whole Quran? You will get rid of devilish whispers; your body immunity will increase due to the great change you experience while you are memorising the Quran. This is not only a theoretical speech but a real experience that is witnessed by those who memorized the Quran or parts of it.
When you decide to memorize the Quran, you won’t have extra time, boredom, nor a feeling of concern, stress and fear. The Quran will remove concerns, grief and the accumulations of the past, you will be reborned.
Let’s start memorising Quran. Click here.
One Thought to “Memorise Quran”
[…] make life on earth possible. Now, let us look at some of these scientific miracles revealed in the Qur’an […]