Common mistakes in Ramadhan:
The following are some mistakes that people often do in Ramadan (mistakes in Ramadan):
1. Drinking “sweet coloured drinks” on a daily basis.
– Why: It contains high amounts of sugar, additives and colourants.
– Solution: If you have to, drink it twice a week maximum.
2. Drinking large amounts of water at iftaar time.
– Why: Filling the stomach with water is more strenuous to it than with food.
– Solution: have a few sips at iftaar then a glass after every two hours.
3. Exercising directly after iftaar.
– Why: the body’s blood flow is concentrated around the stomach at that time.
– Solution: Exercise after two hours of eating to ease digestion.
4. Chewing and swallowing food fast.
– Why: chewing food slowly can speed up digestion and help maintain your weight.
5. Having dessert directly after iftaar.
– Why: they make you drowsy and sleepy.
– Solution: leave at least a two-hour gap between iftaar and dessert to stay fresh and awake for ishaa and taraweeh prayers.
6. Consuming foods with high amounts of sodium
– Why: Sodium triggers thirst throughout the fasting hours of the day
– Solution: instead, eat foods that are high in potassium, they retain water and suppress your thirst.
Bananas are high in potassium. A banana at Suhoor time can control your thirst level through out the day.
Best sources of potassium for Suhoor time:
– dried peaches
– dark chocolate
Worst choices for Suhoor:
– fast food in general
Best choices for Suhoor:
– whole grain bread