HalfWay through Ramadan
We are now halfway through Ramadan. We should strive to end better than you started.
Ibn al-Jawzi said:
“When the race horse knows that it is nearing the end of the track it exerts all of its effort to win the race. Do not allow the race horse to be more clever than you. For verily, deeds are judged by their conclusions. So if you didn’t do well with welcoming Ramadan then perhaps you will do better bidding it farewell.”
Ibn Taymiyyah said:
“The lesson lies in the perfection of the conclusion of a thing, not in the shortcomings of the beginning of it.”
Hasan al-Basri said:
“Improve your performance in what is left (of time) and you will be forgiven for that which has already passed. So take special care of the time you have left because you do not know when your soul will be turned over to Allah’s Mercy.”
What can you do to finish Ramadan better than you started?
1. Know Ramadan is about striving and the difficulty builds you. Just as it was difficult to fast in beginning for some but got used to it, the month builds overcoming the difficulty, not just physical but also overcoming your ego and desires.
Replace one thing you waste time on with reading the Quran.
2. Listen to YouTube lecture on Tafsir of the Quran.
3. Give charity. This is the best month to give charity and the Prophet Muhammad peace be on him would give even more charity in this month.
It doesn’t have to be limited to money but also your time.
Charities can include
– Feeding people or sending money to feed the needy
– Supporting poor if any kind
– Supporting orphans, schools, etc
4. Give up things that shouldn’t be done especially in Ramadan day or night time. Like watching movies or shows.
5. Try to pray at night. If you cannot do it in the masjid that is okay!
Pray in your house even if it is 2 rakah and witr! Do not belittle the little.
You can also pray some in the masjid. You can also pray in your house holding the Quran and reciting at your own pace.
It is also highly recommended to make dua while in sujud. The Prophet peace be on him said that the closest a servant is to their Lord it is in sujud so increase in making dua then.
Make personalized dua in sujud! Yes in ANY language! No problem!
6. Bring food for co-workers or friends as a gesture and tell them it’s Ramadan.
7. Every day make dhikr
100x say subhanAllah wa bihamdihi
100x astaghfirullah wa atubu ilaih
100x la ilaha illAllah wahdahu la sharika lahu
lahul mulku wa lahul hamfu wa huwa ala kulli shayyin qadeer
100x Allahum salli wa sallim ‘ala nabiyyina Muhammad wa aalihi wa sahbihi wa sallam
8. Try to spend some time in the masjid in the odd nights of the last 10 nights of Ramadan.
9. Make sure to give your zakat al fitr and zakat on your wealth if you have not done so.
10. Be cheerful and work on your attitude. Have nice things to say. Smiling is a Sunnah, you will be rewarded.