Salah / Prayers
Salah means prayers and it is one of the five pillars of Islam. There are five prayers that are fard (obligatory) prayers that every Muslim should do. Muslims pray additional prayers called Sunnah or Nafl. Children are encouraged to start learning how to pray at the age of seven years.
Allah Almighty says in Noble Quran:
إِنَّ ٱلصَّلَوٰةَ كَانَتۡ عَلَى ٱلۡمُؤۡمِنِينَ كِتَـٰبً۬ا مَّوۡقُوتً۬ا
Verily, As-Salât (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours.
Muslims pray 5 times a day at specific times:
- Fajr: Dawn prayer before the sunset. It is 2 Raqa’s
- Duhr: Midday prayer at noon. It is 4 Raqa’s
- Asr: Late afternoon payer. It is 4 Raqa’s
- Maghrib: After the sunset prayer. It is 3 Raqa’s
- Ishaa: Between sunset and midnight. It is 4 Raqa’s